Friday, 15 January 2010

Holly Fulton - If this is fashion then I think I get it.

Whilst flicking through Elle Runway Edit for Spring Summer 2010 I stumbled upon this page showing casing the work of Holly Fulton.




I don’t know much about fashion (i'm learning) but I do love art and I can appreciate that all of her designs are all STUNNING and I think it’s fantastic that the inspiration for her pieces does not get lost in translation. Especially as some of her loves are so close to my own.

“The ethos of my work is to capture a couture finish and an attention to detail within ready to wear. I aim to re-interpret the traditions of handwork and the use of techniques within couture into contemporary materials and silhouettes to create strong, cohesive collections of womenswear and jewellery. The use of decorative surfaces is vital within my work and I am constantly endeavouring to create a challenging yet beautiful surface which pushes the boundaries of modern fashion.


I hope that my love of surface sets my designs apart. My shapes lend themselves to decoration and every stage of the process from the initial conception to the technical lay plans informs my designs. Always attracted to strong pieces in terms of design, I have a huge love of art deco and Bauhaus styles, cubist fashion and the geometry within all these genres and the re-interpretation of these into contemporary materials gives me huge inspiration. Surface decoration allows me scope to move forward in fashion. Through this I would hope my aesthetic differs from that of other designers.


My current signature style contains lots of geometric pattern lavished onto simply cut garments; big, luxurious, simple shapes with bold jewellery; bejewelled crystallised dresses and an eclectic mix of modern materials with a high end finish.”

I can definitely she won Swarovski Emerging Talent Award for Accessories at the 2009 British Fashion Awards

There is not a single piece of hers I don’t like, but I do think this is my favourite and it’s from the current collection.





I will be making sure I keep up to date with all of her forthcoming collections (that’s the first time I have ever said that or been inclined to actually do it)

Her website is here and she also has a small collection exclusive to ASOS for sale here and if I could afford it at the moment I would already own a dress and necklace


No comments :

Post a Comment