Wednesday, 30 December 2009

The woman speaks sense - Mae West

I recently came across this fantastic post on Oh Elles Blog about Mata Hari.



This inspired me to do a post about one of my role models, Mae West. What follows are a few of my favourite pictures and quotes so you can see why this woman is such an inspiration to me and how she has helped me come up with my new years resolutions for 2010



I would go into details of her life, but your probably not that interested (although it is extremely interesting) and you can find it all here on Wiki in detail if you want.

Though I wanted to repeat these facts, written Oct. 16, 1933, as my interest in her was initially piqued by the fact she was deemed to be too controversial for the era and a lot of this was to do with her size and body shape (I have read she was considered fat and unhealthy) and the way she used it.

'What uptight people objected to was that Mae West had the nerve to portray confident women who weren't afraid to use their sexual wiles to get what they wanted'

 In vaudeville, Mae West developed her figure with an acrobatic act in which she lifted a 500-lb. weight, supported three 150-lb. male assistants.



 Padded in most of her pictures. Mae West's real dimensions are: height 5 ft. 5 in., weight 120 lb., waist 26 in., hips 36 in., bust 36 in.









Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided.







I always say, keep a diary and someday it'll keep you.


I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.


I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.




Look your best - who said love is blind?


I like my clothes to be tight enough to show I'm a woman... but loose enough to show I'm a lady.





No comments :

Post a Comment